I have to say the staining process went a lot better then I expected. I wasn’t expecting the stain to soak into the wood at all. After all I’ve heard from everyone. I did caulk all the cracks and holes with a wood puddy before staining. Once dry I sanded it down a bit and went on with the staining process.
The stain I went with was this special walnut. I wanted a stain that was noticeable enough but not to dark. I did have to stain it twice because the first coat didn’t look dark enough for what I was aiming for. Keep in mind the more coats of stain you use the darker it will be.
Now I am going to apologize in advance. Unfortunately I did NOT take pictures of how I covered the bench because I was in such a rush to finish it. I used regular plywood from homedepot cut to shape for the bottom of the bench. Then I purchased 2.5″ foam from Joanns and the fabric I used was another journey I went on.
I couldn’t find any fabric that had thick stripes like I wanted so I purchased two different types of upholstery fabrics and sewed the strips together. Talk bout being picky. lol I figured if I’m going to put this much work into it might as well be super picky.. 😀
I purchased the little upholstery tacks from homedepot and hammered them along the edges right into the plywood. I used a ruler to make sure they were even because it was super noticeable if they weren’t. To finish it off I had my hubby find the perfect length screws to screw the top to the bench and that was it.
All in all I have to say it turned out way better then I expected. It stained pretty well , gave me the right amount of rustic, and after a year of constant use it held up pretty darn good. Still just as sturdy as the day I built it. 😀
Thank you for joining me on this DIY journey. It was a great experience and if you decide to journey out on your own ” bench diy ” adventure then don’t forget to tag me on Instagram. I would love to see it.